Monday, April 20, 2009

Birth Story


Wednesday morning we arrived at the hospital at 7 am. The nurse met us at the nurses station and took us straight to our room. She had me change into my gown and provide an urine specimen. She tested the urine and told me that my protein level was up to a 3+. Then she got me into bed and hooked up to the monitor. After this she took some blood and started my IV. She told us that my Dr. was doing a C-Section but would be in shortly. Several time throughtout the next 2 hours another nurse kept coming in giving updates on the C-Section saying that it was taking a little longer than expected. Around 9 am the Dr. finally came in and checked me. I was about 80% effaced and a fingertip dilated. He started the Pitocin at around 9:15. Around 11 he came in to check me again. I was now at a 1. After this we walked the halls for about half an hour and then I bounced on the ball for a little while. I was still feeling pretty good. I was starting to feel the contractions at this point but they weren't hurting. My back however was killing me. No position was comfortable and the ball wasn't even helping at this point. The Dr. came back in around 1 and checked me again, still at a 1. I was slowly started to get frustrated but wasn't in pain so I wasn't too concerned. The Dr. decided to up the Pitocin and watch me for awhile. At this point I started to have horrible cramps and my contractions were back to back with no rest in between. The Dr. said this was because my uterus was becoming over stimulated from the Pitocin. He immediately had the nurse shut it off and wait 30 minutes. After we waited they started the Pitocin at half the level they started at at 9 am. We slowly worked our way back up and around 3:30 the Dr. came back in to check me(again). I was still at a 1. At this point I was extremely frustrated. I just wanted to cry. He told me that he would come back in a hour and check me again but he really didn't want to wait much longer due to my protein level even though my blood pressure was looking good. Also, through all of this the baby was doing wonderful. She was experiencing no stress at all. At 4:30 he came in again, still at a 1. This time he said he would come back in an hour and at that point we would need to make a decision regarding a C-Section. At 5:30, I was still at a 1 and he basically told me that we needed to get the baby out even though she was okay at that point, he didn't want to take any chances. He told us we could either do it then or wait until morning. Him and the nurse left the room and Corey and I discussed it and since I was already so frustrated and in tears we decided to just do it that night.

The nurse came back in and started to prep me for surgery. I got another IV and had to drink some horrible shot of something to neutralize my stomach acid. The anaestesiologist came and explained what he would be doing when we got in the OR. The surgery nurse came in and wheeled me into the OR. My Dr. was in there along with two other Drs. the OR nurse the scrub tech, the anaestesiologist and the nurse we had been with all day. They got me ready for the spinal. Corey was standing in front of me and they got started. It really didn't hurt like I thought it would but it was very uncomfortable. Corey started to feel dizzy and said something. I was surprised at how everyone in the room immediately tended to him leaving me on the table all hunched over with a needle in my back. I was fine and we laugh about it now. They started the C-Section and Zoe Claire was born at 7:02 pm. She weighed 6 lbs. 9 oz and was 19 inches long. They took her to the nursery and Corey went with them.

The C-Section was not near as bad as I was expecting. I felt nauseous through most of it but did okay. When they were stitching me back up I did dry heave a little but the anaestesiologist leaned down and explained to me that they were tugging on my stomach muscles and that was to be expected. About 7:45 they wheeled me to the Recovery Room where they checked my vitals, gave me something for the itching and let me lay there for a few minutes. It wasn't too much longer and they wheeled me into my room and got me situated. Shortly after this Corey came in with Zoe and there we were, a family of THREE!

My recovery has been smooth. I thougth I was able to get up around 11 so I buzzed the nurses and they helped me up. I could stand but not walk. Around midnight I thought I could walk again so I buzzed the nurses again. They helped me and made me walk the hallway. This was excrutiating but I did it. Since I could walk they took out my catheter and put me to bed. The next day I was doing much better walking on my own even though I was hunched over(I even took a shower on my own). By Friday, I was getting around great. At this point I'm feeling pretty good, however when I try to cut back on my pain meds I'm in a bit of pain. I just need to stay on top of it.

We are doing great! Zoe eats and sleeps like a champ. I'm nursing and even though I have to use a nipple shield, due to flat nipples, she is doing great.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

I love the picture.. and the booties are so cute :) I cant wait to meet Ms. Zoe soon. Much love to the family of three

K-tell said...

I looovvve reading these stories! I'm so glad everything went well and you are recovering smoothly. Zoe is absolutely precious and sooooo teeny and sweet!! Can't wait to see more pics:)

Lucky said...

Wow! She is just precious!!! Congrats!!!!